ILLUSTRATIVE LEGACY OF UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES, BENGALURU
- 1899 – Dr Lehmann, German Scientist initiates research on soil crop response with Laboratory in Hebbal, thanks to 30 acres of land donated by Royal Family of Mysore State.
- 1906 – Dr Leslie Coleman, Canadian Entomologist and Mycologist, served with missionary zeal for 25 years, secured allotment of 202 acres + 30 acres of wetland
- 1913, Sir M Vishveshwaraiah, then Dewan of Mysore – nurtured the “Mysore Agriculture residential School” at Hebbal, appointing Dr Leslie Coleman, head this School, offering Licentiate in Agriculture and later on teo years Diploma in Agriculture.
- 1946: Mr MA Srinivasan, then Minister of Agriculture, established Agriculture College, offering 4 year professional degree program in Agriculture Sciences, affiliated to University of Mysore.
- 1956, Sri Kengal Hanumanthaiah, then Chief Minister, laid Foundation Stone for building for Agriculture College
- 1958, Veterinary College was also established in Hebbal Campus.
- 1961, GOI constituted Agricultural University Committee led by Dr Ralph Cummings of Rockefeller Foundation, favorably recommended formation of University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru.
- 1963, 25th May, President of India accorded assent to Government of Mysore’s proposal, adopting Land Grant College System –USA, passed the University of Agricultural Sciences Bill. The State Government granted 1300 acres, presently the impressive Gandhi KrishiVigyana Kendra Campus.
- 1964, UAS was inaugurated by Dr Zakir Hussain, then Vice President of India, with Dr KC Naik, appointed as the first Vice Chancellor.
- Fisheries College at Mangalore offering Bachelor in Fisheries Science
- Agricultural Engineering Institute at Raichur offering 3 year Dip in Agricultural Engineering.
1974 ONWARDS, STARTED
- Home Science College at Dharwad
- College of Basic Sciences and Humanities, Bengaluru
- College of Post Graduate Studies, Bengaluru
- College of Horticulture, Mudigere.
- Dairy Science College, Bengaluru.
- Department of Agricultural Marketing and Cooperation
- College of Forestry in Ponnampet, South Kodagu.
- College of Sericulture at Chintamani
- UG Program in Agricultural Engineering.
- Agricultural Bio tech Degree Program
- Food Science and Technology Program
- Two years Diploma Program
ESTABLISHED NEW UNIVERSITIES ACROSS KARNATAKA STATE
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwar
- Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Bidar
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Raichur
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Shimoga
- University of Horticultural Sciences, Bagalkote
- UAS Bengaluru is being recognized as number one University by ICAR from among 69 Universities in India by conferring Sardar Patel Best Institutional Award of ICAR-
To know more about University click here